A third bathroom in our house is now complete! I got a wild hair and wanted to re-do this bathroom a couple of weekends ago. I was pretty proud of myself for removing the toilet and vanity all by myself. I even had to take the door off the hinges in order to fit the vanity through it. But Aaron was busy on the car and I handled it all!
This is the primary bathroom that everyone uses when they visit and it is downright embarrassing. Or, at least it was. Lucky for us that the previous owners upgraded to this lovely granite vanity. I know that they upgraded because I could see the outline of where the old pedestal sink used to be after I had removed the current sink for painting. The “new” vanity is the only thing, and I mean only thing this bathroom had going for it.
My sincere apologies for the horrendous picture quality. That will soon change because I am getting a new camera for my birthday (YAY!). Anyway, the wallpaper border at the top of the room was added prior to the hunter green paint. I discovered this when removed the wallpaper using warm water and a scraper:
It took me 4-5 hours just to prep for painting. The wax ring on the toilet was bad, so the area around the toilet was nasty (thankfully we are on a slab foundation, so no harm done by the bad wax ring). I also scrubbed the trim, especially where it meets the walls so that paint could better adhere to it. Next, I removed the exhaust fan cover and the vent and scrubbed both of those (yuck). I also removed the light fixture and wired a temp light. Finally I was ready to paint the ceiling.
I have had a vision of what I wanted the bathroom to look like: I wanted chunky, horizontal stripes. Mission Accomplished yet again. I used this bathroom to write some helpful painting tips and tricks that I have learned along the way. Here’s the finished bathroom:
Not including the whoopsie moment, this bathroom cost around $250 to makeover. Here is the breakdown:
- New chair height toilet $100
- Paint $50 for the two colors
- Ceiling and trim paint – already owned
- Light fixture $5 from Lowe’s sale section – spray painted oil rubbed bronze
- Mirror – free hand-me-down from Aaron’s parents (also spray painted oil rubbed bronze)
- Glass light shades for light fixture $42 (3 at$14 each)
- Towel bar and glass shelf – already owned
- Faucet – to be replaced at a later date for under $50 (thanks EBAY!), or maybe spray painted for less… jury is still out on this one.
- TOTAL COST = $250
NOT.TO.SHABBY. Here are the faucet options that we have picked out, but haven’t purchased yet:
And now for the big WHOOPSIE moment that sounded more like “SH#()$)ale*&^(#!@” when it happened…
I had finished painting everything except for the trim, peeled all of the tape off from the stripes, admired my perfect paint lines, and got ready to install the bathroom accessories when something horrible happened. While trying to install a towel bar, we punctured a 3/4″ copper water line. GREAT. On Labor Day. EVEN BETTER! (On a side note, we have excellent water pressure)
After 4 hours, lots (I mean LOTS) of swearing, 2 Home Depot trips, and me on fire watch, Aaron was finally able to fix it and my wall looked like this:
The reason for the second hole higher up on the wall is that the solder didn’t take on the first attempt and the water had so much pressure that it looked like it could be leaking higher up in the wall. We didn’t want to take any chances because it was feasible that we had created a leak somewhere else after all the stress we put on the pipe trying to cut out the screwed (haha) section.
Needless to say, I was very depressed and disappointed. And I despise drywall, so that just made the sinking feeling even worse. Oh well, I sucked it up and patched and re-painted the wall. This project took about 6 days total from start to finish (although, 4 days were spent waiting for the coats of drywall compound to dry). And lets just say lesson learned… on the master bathroom, we will determine where the towel bars go before paint/tiling the walls.