Life with the P's

A young couple living life – remodeling, diy projects, and everything in between!

How to make a builder grade mirror look good!

All of our bathrooms have those crappy builder grade mirrors that do not have frames and are just plain boring. After a recent furniture shopping trip, we got the idea to frame out one of the mirrors to make something worth hanging on our wall. The mirror we spotted in a furniture store was around $550 which is way more money than I wanted to spend. Plus, it was kind of ugly. Neat, but not our taste. So off we went to trusty Home Depot for some buy-by-the-foot stain grade trim. A few 45* cuts later and we had our frame:

contractor grade mirror framed with stain grade wood

And if you look closely, you can see that there are two pieces of trim. The larger floor trim butts up next to the mirror and the extra piece overlaps both the mirror and the floor trim.

2 pieces of trim around mirror

After dry fitting everything, we hot glued and stapled each of the frames and then screwed and hot glued the overlapping frame to the large floor trim frame from the back. Next, we flipped the frame contraption over (face side to the floor) and added some mirror mastic (available in a caulk tube in the mirror section of Home Depot/Lowes) to the outer edge and set the mirror in place. We also added some “just in case” supports on the back corners. We attached these to the frame with screws from the back.

Next, we cut the center pieces. These are just smaller pieces of trim. The hexagon-type shape was very easy. The angles are 22.5* (1/2 of a 45* angle). Also, the pieces can be any size, as long as the piece opposite is the exact same (not sure if that makes sense or not). Here is the shape we were going for. The boards and tiles are to hold everything flat while the mastic/glue dries.

The mirror itself was 55″ by 42″. Add some trim to that and it became very heavy, and even bigger. We used the hooks above (circled), but realized they didn’t quite hold it like they should. We bought the picture hanging wire (heaviest available) and wrapped it through the hooks and the support boards. To hang it on the wall, we used a very large leg bolt (not sure if that is the correct terminology or not) and some washers.  And here is the final product!

diy contractor grade mirror frame

And no, I can not take a non-blurry picture. I will work on that. And no, I will not pick up the room to take a picture. I was just too excited that the mirror was up! The internet can see our house in all of its functional/messy glory! Here is a reminder of the before and after of the room. The before picture is the picture from the real estate listing. We are getting there at least…

living room before and after, vaulted living room, diy mirror frame

In total, this project cost about $100 because of the stain grade wood. It can definitely be done on a smaller budget. We have 4 more mirrors left… let’s see what we can do with those!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: